« back



University History
Academic traditions of our University date back to 1944 when four faculties : Medical, Natural, Agrarian and Veterinary of the new University of Maria Curie-Sklodowska  were established. Soon other faculties followed: Pharmaceutical, Law (1949), Zootechnics (1957). In 1950 the Medical and the Pharmaceutical faculties were sectioned off to form the Medical Doctors University – later the University of Medicine renamed in 2008 into the Medical University of Lublin.


In 1955 on the rising tide of creating new state higher education schools the then Rector of the UMCS professor Bohdan Dobrzanski was commissioned to establish an independent scientific – didactic and research unit out of the Agrarian, the Veterinary and the Zootechnics faculties. By the Resolution 503 of the Ministry Cabinet from 6 August 1955  the Higher School of Agriculture was established. Professor Bohdan Dobrzanski became its first Rector.

logo WSR w Lublinie

The Higher School of Agriculture in Lublin Logo

logo AR w Lublinie

The Agricultural University in Lublin Logo

The School was growing fast and in 1970 two more faculties were established – Horticultural and Agricultural Engineering ( since 2003 the Faculty of Production Engineering ). On 23 September 1972 the Cabinet changed the name of the School into the Agricultural University.


In 1960 the Agrarian Faculty was transformed into the Agricultural Faculty and again in 2007 into the Faculty of Agrobioengineering. In 1991 the Veterinary Faculty was changed into the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. In 1998 the Zootechnics Faculty was changed into the Faculty of Biology and Animal Breeding. In May 2005 the Polish Senate established the sixth faculty – the Faculty of Food Sciences and Biotechnology and in 2006 the seventh – the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences in Zamosc ( former Institute of Agricultural Sciences ).

On 6 March 2008 the Polish Parliament enacted a new law which changed the names of some higher education agricultural schools. After being approved by the Polish Senate and signed by the President of Poland the Resolution was published in the Law Gazette. The Resolution became legally enforceable on 11 April 2008. The ceremony to celebrate name changing was held on 17 April 2008.



  The University of Life Sciences in Lublin Logo


The Faculties have the right to confer titles of doctor and doctor habilitated. The University employs about 1700 people including over 800 academic staff. Among them 30% are independent researchers. Scientific research conducted in the units and  laboratories of the University and in the experimental farms in Bezek, Czeslawice, Uhrusk and Felin provides valuable contribution to the development of agricultural and veterinary science. A significant number of scientific publications of our staff in reputable scientific magazines and publishing houses as well as numerous patents prove the fact.

Our University has over 40 000 graduates. Currently young people can choose among 15 fields of study: agriculture, veterinary medicine, food technology and human nutrition, science of commodities, biotechnology, landscape architecture ( at two faculties ), animal husbandry, environment protection, biology, horticulture, agricultural and forest engineering, management and production,information technology and technological education, economics, environment engineering. There is a 3 step education system – long cycle ( the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine ), 1st and 2nd cycle fulltime and extramural studies and 3rd cycle doctoral studies. At present about 13000 students are studying at all types of studies.
Since the beginning of our University  students  have been required to undergo compulsory practical training and internship at different agricultural facilities and agricultural – food plants in Poland and abroad. Young people develop their intetrests at the Student Scientific Societies during meetings and discussions as well as national and foreign conferences and symposiums. Students Self government is thriving. Students Magazine „Radar” has been published for 4 years.

For over 55 years the University Choir plays an important cultural and educational role. Its founder and a long term conductor was Boguslaw Szot – later a professor at the Institute of Agro-physics at the Polish Academy of Sciences. Since 2002 Miroslaw Ziomek has conducted the Choir. 


chór UP


The University of Life Sciences in Lublin Choir

Many generations of young people with future scientific staff of the University among them went through the Folk Song and Dance Group "Jawor" which in 2003 was awarded the title of the Ambassador of the Lublin Province. The group, presently under the leadership of Zbigniew Romanowicz, during its over 100 tours gave concerts on all continents, won awards, medals and honourable mentions at folk festivals in Poland and abroad.

Zespół Jawor


 The Folk Song and Dance Group "Jawor"


Academic sportsmen also have great achievements. Swimmers, judokas, basketball and chess players have won numerous titles of individual and team champions of Poland. On 17 April 2008 Sports and Recreational Centre with a swimming pool was opened on the corner of Raabego and Gleboka Street.

obiekt przy Raabego


 The Sports and Recreational Centre in Raabego Street

The graduates of our University are among highly qualified employees of agricultural – food sector and a significant group of veterinary doctors. They work at managerial posts in the biggest production plants of the Lublin Province. Many of them work outside agriculture.
Over the past 50 years there has been a constatnt improvement in the number and quality of the University buildings. In 1969 the Zootechnics building was completed. In the 1980s the old boiler house in Gleboka Street was rebuilt and adapted for a sports centre and a print shop. In 1999 the old canteen in Dobrzanskiego Street was rebuilt and adapted for the Institute of Economics and Agribusiness Organization. In 2000 a new building Agro II was completed and a year later a modern conference centre with a concert hall of 600 seats, lecture  and conference rooms as well as audio-visual base was opened. The Conference Centre plays an important role not only for the University but also for the Lublin region. Important national and international conventions, conferences and symposiums organised by both scientific and non-scientific institutions take place there. It is also a convenient place for cultural events and artistic shows.

Centrum Kongresowe UP


 The University of Life Sciences in Lublin Conference Centre




The Skromna Street Building


In 2005 the vivarium in Gleboka Street and the modern building of Food Sciences and Biotechnology in Skromna Street were completed. The older University buildings have been gradually renovated. In the near future new investments are planned. In 2009 there are plans to start the construction of a new building i.e. the Investment-Implementation of New Technologies in Agricultural Engineering Centre. The building will house the Faculty of Production Engineering, the Faculty of Horticulture, the Central Apparatus Laboratory and the Foreign Languages Teaching Centre.



Głęboka Street Building ( scale model )


In 2009 there is also a plan of starting another construction – a new building for the University Library. The building will also comprise the University Archive and the University Publishing Centre.



 The Library Rotunda  (scale model)


  The former Rectors:



  Professor Bohdan Dobrzański (1955–1959, 1968–1969)




Professor Stefan Ziemnicki (1959–1965)



 Professor Marian Chomiak (1965–1968)



Professor Ewald Sasimowski (1969–1972)




Professor Janusz Welento (1972–1981)



Professor Edmund Prost (1981–1987)



Professor Czesław Tarkowski (1987–1990)



Professor Józef Nurzyński (1990–1996)



Professor Marian Wesołowski (1996–2002), ( 2008– to date)



 Professor Zdzisław Targoński (2002–2005), (2005–2008)



author: EZM, ER
photograper: Jacek Piasecki, Marcin Iwan, archives